The Crab Rangoon Chronicles

OK

So last nights dinner turned out to be more complicated than anticipated. The freckled one and I had our game faces on....ready to rock and roll...we chopped, diced and sliced everything we needed, but since we decided to record a lot of the stuff we were doing it ended up taking about an hour and a half more, by the time we actually ate dinner we were starving, and I can't really say if the food was as good as I thought it was, or it my taste buds were taken over by the hunger pains. I found these recipes on about.com, under Chinese food, but of course I altered them to my liking. http://chinesefood.about.com/od/crabrangoon/r/crabrangoon.htm



Mary's "Crab" Rangoon

8 oz imitation Crab (the freckled one is allergic to shellfish)
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 Garlic Clove, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger paste
3 scallions finely sliced
3 Shakes Worcestershire sauce
2 Shakes Maggi Seasoning Sauce
Salt, optional
1 Pkg Wonton skins
oil for frying

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Spoon mixture into Wonton skins, fold and fry.

I originally put 2 minced garlic cloves into the mixture and realized it was too strong, so I added a touch of ricotta and some more cream cheese to balance the flavor. It wasn't exactly like the Rangoon I have had at Chinese and Thai Restaurants but it was pretty close.

I would definitely recommend making the mixture the night before. We had left overs for dinner and fried up some fresh Rangoonsand they were to diiiieeee for today!!


Mary's Sweet & Sour Sauce

1/3 cup Rice Vinegar
5-6 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
3 -4 Tablespoons Ketchup
dash of soy sauce
2 teaspoons or so of corn starch, w/ 2 tablespoons of water to make slurry


Again I used the basic recipe off of about.com, but added my own tweaks
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/r/sweetandsour.htm


when I followed the recipe, brought the ingredients to a boil and added the cornstarch, my sauce turned to glue in about 2 seconds. The flavor was also a little to sour for my taste.

I mixed the vinegar, sugar, ketchup and soy and brought to a light simmer (about 1 t0 1 1/2 minutes) I added my slurry mixture (more water than original) and let simmer for about another 30 seconds. I did a quick taste and added another teaspoon or so of ketchup and mix well and set to the side to cool. This is a recipe that can easily be adapted to your taste buds so taste as you go and tweak as you like!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foodie Fights -- Battle 16 -- Chestnuts & Kumquats (continued)

Ahh...it's been too long

As if Alton read my mind...Apple Pie